This wonderful rain we are having will mean a great start to this years planting program and both the Goolwa to Wellington Local Action Planning Association and the Milang District Community Association have been busy with preparations, see page 2. The CLLMM Vegetation Team at DEWNR have also been busy preparing for the Commercial Planting Program which will see another 250,000 plants going in around the Lakes & Coorong this year.
On a different but exciting note there have been some recent sightings of juvenile Orange-bellied Parrots including a possible sighting on the Fleurieu Peninsula! Confirmed sightings have been at West Gippsland, Warnambool and Werribee. The Orange-bellied Parrot National Recovery Team Volunteer Coordinators are holding official surveys this weekend (see page 3 for details) and remind bird watchers “that if you are fortunate enough to come across the parrots you need to be patient, watch carefully and try to read band details and minimise, preferably eliminate, the potential for disturbance.”
Happy Bird Watching!
Best Wishes, Amelia
In this issue:
- Winter Planting & Orange-bellied Parrots
- Lakes Community Gearing Up for Revegetation
- National Volunteers Week News & Opportunities
- Expression of Interest: Community Advisory Role for CLLMM Drought Recovery Projects
- Australia Makes List of Ecosystems in Bad Shape
- Giving to Mothers helps save local flora
- Wetlands Australia: National Wetlands Update is Calling for Articles
- Up-Coming Workshops & Training Opportunities
- On the Level & Calendar of Events